He was coughing every few minutes. I will say I did notice his breathing was off when I first laid eyes on him Friday morning. It seemed to me he was out of breathe. I attributed it to coughing so much and actually being out of breathe from all the physical activity. I do remember thinking, "Keep a close eye on his coloring" Which I did. I wish those mommy instincts would have kicked in, but they didn't. It wasn't until around 11a or so I actually realized something might be wrong. I texted Neil looking for a comment that would insult my worried state however put me at ease. I got nothing in return. I called the doctor; was put on hold; then was told the doctor would call me back. This is when I started panicking and getting the kids dressed to head there anyways. The doctor called me back within minutes, but of course it felt like an entire weekend. We made it to the office shortly after 12 noon. By 12:15p he was given an oral steroid and put on the nebulizer with two doses of another steroid.
Mommy fail: The doctor was extremely concerned. Even more than I was. (This is ALWAYS not the case. I am constantly worried over a fever or a cough or a stomach bug. We go in and they send us home with the advice of Tylenol, honey, or fluids.) He said on a number of occasions that I should have brought him in sooner. He was concerned we would have to admit him and that he was "really struggling to breathe." My oldest baby is "REALLY STRUGGLING TO BREATHE"?!!! Where were those Mommy instincts???!!!! I'm supposed to feel that stuff in my belly button, aren't I?! Or aren't my ears supposed to ring when something serious is up??!!! I have totally failed my baby boy! Mommy is supposed to know these things!!!!
The nebulizer helped him breathe. A few hours later we were out the door with "Bot-Bot the Seal" (named by Hank himself) in the passenger's seat. Henry is so much better and crazy hyper on the steroids. He's still wheezing so we're taking him in for a chest x-ray on Monday. Hopefully after a clear from pneumonia we can just keep up the breathing treatments every 3-4 hours or when needed along with the daily oral steroid. To give some facts, Henry's diagnosis was Bronchospasm with no certain cause yet.
Needless to say, I've cried enough over failing Henry. Really wishing I didn't let it get so bad before I took him in; however, he's doing amazing and I am thanking God for letting me take him in when I did. Taking the good with the bad or taking the good and trying to get past the bad. And let me NOT forget to add how incredibly proud and impressed I am of this little boy. He was so brave throughout it all. He knows how good the machine makes him feel so he doesn't fight it in the slightest. I think now he actually likes it.
Within minutes of walking in the door at the doctor's office. I thought he would scream and yell and cry, instead, he asked if he could hold it. :)
Little brother also being amazing and just concerned while he observes. That was a LONG time in one tiny little office room. Another good little monkey.
The only place he'll do his treatments at home. Thank goodness Nana got these for us when she was here. :)
His first appetite in almost two days! He wanted oatmeal and grapefruit. Relieved to see that smile.
So excited for the grapefruit.
Henry and I are sleeping in the guest bed while he's on these treatments so we don't wake his brother. (Its pretty loud) So this is the new story time routine. Again, William very concerned for his big bro.
Bot-Bot, the seal.
A random fun little moment in the tub last night. William is still here, too, ya know...
No comments:
Post a Comment