So, I talked to my doctor about this depression thing involving my lack of color and low self esteem. She immediately said, "Do spray tan!" So I was happy to go in last week and get that fake orange glow! Oh my goodness, did that help! It wasn't anything that anyone at work or Neil even noticed, but I noticed tremendously! It helped so much! Its absolutely crazy what a little pampering can do for a girl! Now to just talk Neil into getting me a massage!
So, I am starting to realize how crazy people are. Its very obvious I'm pregnant, and people now feel the need to comment away as they feel necessary. Who are these people? I do know that before I was pregnant and I would see a pregnant women, if I knew her, I would always say, "You look great!", immediately followed by, "How do you feel?". I feel that's appropriate. If I didn't know her, I wouldn't say a thing. What business is it of mine? I will tell you a couple stories that I've run into the past couple weeks. I was walking down the isle of the grocery store when a perfect stranger asked me how far long I was, and then commented on the food that's in my cart. I had meat substitute because, news to all, I am a vegetarian! She thought that was insane! She insisted I wasn't giving my baby enough protein. I tried to leave it alone (all who know me...this was very hard), walked away and continued my grocery shopping. When we got to the check out, low and behold, there she was again... making her voice heard AGAIN by asking me if I eat dairy. I said, "I'm from Wisconsin, I couldn't survive without it." Trying to make light of what could have been a blow up on my part. She followed that by, "well, that's good, I still wish you would eat meat, even if its just for your pregnancy." Thinking to myself, Alright lady, that's it! Lets take this outside! I calmly said, "I appreciate your concern... (paused and waited for her to say her name, which was Beth) Beth, but I take my pregnancy questions and concerns to doctors only, you know what I mean?" She shut up very quickly. I didn't want to have to be that pregnant bitch, but she forced me! The lady behind the check out laughed out loud and said, "That's awesome! You know how many times I wanted to pound on the people that would comment like that to me? Good work!" Which makes me realize that I'm not the only one, and what's worse, is that woman isn't the only one! Other people do this to other pregnant women!
It happened at work as well just this last week. A women I barely know came up to me to comment on my size. I'll quote her because I have broken this statement down so many times in my head; "I don't remember what you looked like before, but for only six months along, you look big!" First of all, you don't remember what I looked like before? Meaning you're not sure if I was fat or not?! Second of all, ONLY six months along? I only have 3 full months to go! What made me the most uncomfortable about the whole situation is that I found myself going into detail how my doctors appointments are going. Letting her know that the baby is measuring right on schedule, and my weight is right on target. Why am I discussing this with a coworker I NEVER talk to?! I posted this on facebook of course and got a lot of responses saying that they've been through this too. Again, this happens all the time! WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
My point to all of this: Tell your friends! Tell them to shut up when they see a pregnant woman! Just let her be, or tell her she looks great! Just because you've had a child, makes you no expert! The only thing a pregnant woman can do to mother this child, is take care of herself. If you question that she's not doing that, you're questioning that she's not a good mother, she's not taking good enough care of her child! I really hope this stops at least when the baby is born. Because again, I couldn't imagine going up to a mom with a couple of kids and telling her that she's doing something wrong! So please spread the word, for all pregnant woman alike!
And I shouldn't say this about everyone. A lot, or more like most people have been so great and sweet to me. Picking things up for me when I drop them, and saying, "You look great". That goes a long ways for sure.

But I did have my doctor's appointment on Thursday. Everything is looking great says the doctor. Blood pressure, weight, and height of baby. 9 inches! I have a 9 inch baby inside of me! He's sooo big! We have another ultrasound on the 12th and I cannot wait! Love getting to see him! He's definitely getting stronger with the rolls, punches, and kicks he's giving me. Neil and I no longer try to feel him, but rather see him! You can see my stomach move as he does. So crazy! Its an immediate reaction from myself whenever I feel him to think or say, "Oh my goodness I love you." I cannot wait to meet him! I can say, I will miss being pregnant, though. Its just him and I, every day. I love that! I'm a selfish only child, can you tell?
I'll get some picks up later this weekend to see that belly!
God Bless!
I'm sorry to hear that your confidence is low. I thought you were doing so well. I mean, when I saw you this weekend, I couldn't get over how beautiful and perfect you looked. So, please know that no one sees those imperfections that you seem to focus on.
ReplyDeleteAnd I just love you for so many reasons, especially your sassy-ness. I'm glad you finally said something to that woman. I'll pass along the message to my girlfriends.
Keep on writing. I love hearing all about your experiences. :)