When we found out we were pregnant, it was just few weeks before we were planning on going home for Thanksgiving. So I thought it would be much more special to tell everyone in person. It was a long few weeks! Our phone conversations with our parents were brought to a null. They went something like;
parents: "So, what's new?"
us: "Oh, not much."
It was miserable not telling them, but knew it would be worth it to see their faces. And of course, I was thinking to myself every day how we could tell them in a way they would never forget! I had tons of ideas, and will not give them away, as we might still use them for our next bundle(s) of joy.
I had a weekend planned in DC again with my girl, Amanda, the week before we left. Amanda would know if I came. I knew it. But we were planning on going bridesmaid dress shopping for her wedding coming up this September. I couldn't miss this, and oh, how I love some Manda time. I was gonna try to just not tell her, but how is that possible when two of our deepest loves are red wine and flavored vodka. She would know, I know she would know. But I went anyways. And needless to say, she found out.
The next weekend we took off for Wisconsin again. The 6th trip back for myself in the year 2010. (what's funny, is that doesnt compare to the amount of trips I took back home in 2009). I was more excited for this trip than ever though not only because we were going to tell everyone we were having a baby, but also because we were going to spend a holiday with family! We haven't been able to do that since we've moved to NC. I cannot begin to explain how much I miss those huge gatherings with all the aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents. I'm hoping to replicate our own huge gathering this Chistmas in a beach house on the Outerbanks, but that's for another time.
I left on Wednesday morning so I could spend a little more time with my mom. She picked me up from the airport, and despite all the time I'd spent planning and researching the best way to tell her, I basically spilled all the words out to her in the first three minutes of seeing her. I couldnt hold it any longer. My plan was great, like I said, I was going to tell her in a super cute way, that would have been so special, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. All I wanted to hear was about how she felt when she was pregnant, and compare notes. We had so much to talk about, and I couldnt hold it back! So as soon as I put my bags in the trunk, got my seatbelt on, I said, "mom, I'm pregnant!" Kind of strange, but I had never imagined saying those words to my mom. And by the reaction, I dont think my mom had ever imagined me saying them. I'm her little baby girl! Im kind of a brat and a bit (to put it lightly) selfish. She was so taken off guard. Probably because we never really discussed the fact that we wanted to start a family. But once it settled, and she realized what I actually said, the tears poured and the hugs began. It was a face I'll never forget. We called Mark while he was working in Chicago on our way home. I still dont know what to think of his reaction. I think he thought it was an oops, and was almost trying to make me feel better instead of being happy for himself becoming a grandpa. It was strange...
Neil flew in on Saturday morning, so my mom and I picked him up at the airport and were off to the craft fair with my Grandma Whitey, Aunt Patti, and Cousin Erin. And I again, got to spread the word with two other women in my life that are like mothers to me. I couldnt hold it in again, and just blurted it out!
I was thinking I need to get better at this before we tell the Yentsch's. And I did. We had family portraits scheduled for that Monday afternoon in Holmen with Scott and Sue, along with Dave and Jess and their little one Reagan. I had known the photographer for a long time, so felt completely comfortable letting her share this moment with us. She made it even more perfect. We were all posed for a family portrait when Sarah (the photographer) said, "Now everyone look at Mandy and Neil, and wish them congratulations because they're having a baby!"

I think we may have gotten the best family picture in history!
We were also able to squeeze in some time for dinner with our closest friends and share the news with them as well.
But, I have to say the best part of the whole trip was just being with family. We had a great Thanksgiving!
This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
ReplyDeleteFamily Portraits