Monday, January 24, 2011

Waiting.

I'm only 17 weeks and some days into this pregnancy and my patience is already running thin. Since the moment I found out I was pregnant, I have been waiting. Waiting for Neil to come home so I could tell him, waiting to go home for Thanksgiving so we could tell the family, waiting for my monthly doctor's appointment so I can hear the heart beating normally, and as soon as I leave the doctor's office I'm waiting again for a month to go by so I can go again.

Brian Adams said, "Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to you thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success". I need to learn from this.

Life Learning Today .com had some great advice and I would like to share it:

Waiting – Long Term (to reach a long term goal, future vacation, party, return of a loved one, purchase you want to make, etc.)

Break It Into Smaller Chunks. If possible, try to segment your goal into smaller compartments. Focus on today’s portion. Establish mini check points on your way to reaching that goal and celebrate the smaller accomplishments along the way.
Distraction. Some things simply require passive waiting such as waiting for a loved one to return from being away. In this case, keep busy. Work on productive things you need to get done anyway.
(this will be getting the baby room together)
Occasional Daydream. You won’t be able to help it, so when it happens go ahead and indulge in happy thoughts about the thing you are waiting for, assuming it is a good thing. (Daydreaming I can do, I do it well and often.)
Be Present. Find ways to simply be present today so that your complete focus on today crowds out thoughts of what you are waiting for. Look for the good and the joy in the moment. This is good to do whether what you are waiting for is good or bad.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy,
    I just love reading all about your journey. You're so insightful and honest. A few of the many attributes that are going to make you an amazing mother. And do you mind if I steal your advice about patience? I'm feeling the same kind of waiting game when it comes to the wedding and decorating the house. Thanks!

    Love & Miss,
    A

    ReplyDelete